« Revenge of the SithTiger Direct giving away 64 computers in 64 days »

Trackerless BitTorrent

Trackerless BitTorrent - "As part of our ongoing efforts to make publishing files on the Web painless and disruptively cheap, BitTorrent has released a 'trackerless' version of BitTorrent in a new release."

BitTorrent just got even more impossible to stop. The tracker was the real weak point in the system before. It was a centralized point that could be taken down, it was hard to set up, and caused bandwidth problems. The lack of a good tracker and my complete ineptitude at setting one up kept us from ever really distributing the Brendoman.com podcast via BT. Once this new technology is in place and supported by all of the BT clients, publishing big files will be that much easier. Gringo and I have been talking about doing some video (video blog, video podcast, I don't know what to call it). Anyone interested?

(via Digg)

posted by dan | 05/18/05| 12:02:43 pm| I'm a Big Geek|

Comment from: luis [Member]

Sounds super. I love it.

05/18/05 @ 12:51
Comment from: Roland [Visitor]

I don’t get this whole newfangled torrent thingy. Whatever happened to mp3s?

05/18/05 @ 18:19
Comment from: dan [Member] · http://www.brendoman.com/

BT is just a distrobution technology. You can use it to publish and download any type of file, including mp3s. It really shines when there’s a large file that a bunch of people want to download at the same time. In this situation a normal webserver would get run into the ground by all the bandwidth usage. But BT downloaders all share the bandwidth. The more people downloading, the faster it goes and the less demand is put on the original publisher. It’s a good way to publish a lot of content cheaply.

05/18/05 @ 20:20
Comment from: Roland [Visitor]

It’s also too complicated for n00bs like me. I’ll stick with WinMx.

05/18/05 @ 22:14
Comment from: jksterup [Member]   · http://www.brendoman.com/kyle

I had no idea this is what BitTorrent is. It sounds great!

05/19/05 @ 13:06